Asparagus is in season during the spring. You can enjoy this recipe year-round using mushrooms or a seasonal green vegetable of your choice. Walnuts provide protein and omega-3 fatty acids. This is a delicious complete-protein vegetarian meal with a perfect balance of carbohydrates, protein and fat.
Recipe: Spring Fusilli with Asparagus and Walnuts
Choose organic ingredients when available:
- 8 ounces dry whole-wheat fusilli
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Juice from 1 lemon (or 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Trim off tough ends of asparagus and discard. Cut asparagus into 1-inch diagonal slices.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic and asparagus for 3 minutes and add 2 tablespoons water if needed.
- Add walnuts and cook 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add asparagus mixture to the pasta and then add lemon juice, oregano and parsley.
- Gently toss and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and black pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts Per serving (232 grams): 418 calories, 20.8 grams fat, 142 milligrams sodium, 43.4 grams carbohydrates, 9.3 grams dietary fiber, 18.7 grams protein.
Recipe from the award-winning diet, lifestyle and cookbook: Beyond The Mediterranean Diet: European Secrets Of The Super-Healthy, by Layne Lieberman, RD.
THE AUTHOR: Layne Lieberman, RD