These easy-to-prepare veggie burgers fit the bill for vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, high-fiber, antioxidant-rich, high-protein, oil-free, healthy-carb, nutritious and delicious! Freeze and toast as needed.
Layne’e Sweet Potato Chickpea Veggie Burgers, serves 4
(Choose organic ingredients when available):
- 1 large sweet potato, cooked, skin discarded
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (or organic canned, drained)
- ¼ cup coconut water
- ¼ teaspoon oregano, dried
- 3 basil leaves, fresh, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fine cornmeal
- Olive oil cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potato, chickpeas and coconut water. Mash until relatively smooth. If the chickpeas are hard to mash, microwave the mixture for 30 seconds, and then mash.
- Mix in oregano, basil, chili flakes, onion and carrots. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in cornmeal one tablespoon at a time. Form the mixture into four patties. If the mixture is too wet to form a patty, add another tablespoon of cornmeal.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook the patties for about 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through. Adjust the heat as needed to avoid burning the patties.
Nutrition Facts per serving (without added salt): 249 calories, 3.2 grams fat, 35 milligrams sodium, 45.6 grams carbohydrates, 10.6 grams dietary fiber, 11 grams protein, excellent source (>20 percent daily value) for vitamins A, C and iron.
THE AUTHOR: Layne Lieberman, RD